Sweet Tea Brined Pork Chops
Prep Time: 25 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Servings: Serves: 4
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed flat with the back of a knife or with a garlic press
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 6 allspice berries
- 6 cloves
- 2 bags orange pekoe tea, preferably Twinings, Luzianne or Lipton
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 2 cups ice
- 4 (10- to 12-ounce) bone-in pork loin chops
Prepare the Brine:
- In a large pot over medium high heat, combine the water, onion, thyme, rosemary, garlic, salt, molasses, coriander, peppercorns, allspice, cloves, tea bags and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat.
- Transfer to a sealable container, add the ice and let cool to room temperature.
- Once cool, remove the tea bags
- Add the pork chops to the brine
- seal the container
- refrigerate for 24-48 hours. I personally prefer no less than 36 hours
Grill the Chops on the Big Green Egg:
- Remove the pork chops from the brine. Pat dry with paper towels and hold in refrigerator until ready to grill.
- Heat the Big Green Egg to 350F with plate setter and grill in place
- Place the pork chops directly onto the grill and cook 5 to 7 minutes per side until 145F internal temperature.
- Remove from the grill immediately
- Let rest for at least 5 minutes and serve.
Per serving: 323 calories (percent of calories from fat, 44), 36 grams protein, 9 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram fiber, 15 grams fat (5 grams saturated), 28 milligrams cholesterol, 319 milligrams sodium.